Posted with permission of SilverSurfer_TX
We are calling upon all truckers to take the few minutes each day and hound these state agencies regarding the time limit parking enforcement, which is in direct violation with FMCSA’s regulations.
The FMCSA regulations being violated is Part 355
VA DMV/Motor Carrier Services
Secretary of Public Safety
Secretary of Transportation
Ms. Evelyn Shelton or Ms. Melony Roberts
Talking Points When Contacting Virginia Agencies
It has been brought to my attention to provide some help with what needs to be addressed. Here are some talking points to aid in your communication…
1. Ask for the lead person in the specific agency your contacting. Example: Secretary of Public Safety Administrator Ms. Hazelgrove. Always ask for the administrator, but expect to possibly get their assistant.
2. Be clear on why you’re calling. This is an issue of truckers being ticketed and forced to violate HOS regulations and drive tired by law enforcement. Impress upon the individual you’re speaking with the seriousness of this issue. That a situation is being created by Virginia’s law enforcement which could result in a tragic situation, and they are using a law which is incompatible with FMCSA regulations.
3. Point out the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s regulation being violated. It is Part 355, Compatibility of State laws and regulations effecting interstate motor carrier operations. The state is required to review and determine whether state laws are compatible with FMCSA regulations. And in this specific case…a “Waiver of Determination” [355.25(d)] must be on file to allow the enforcement of the laws being enforced.
4. Remain respectful and don’t become frustrated when ignorance is being relayed back to you in the conversation. Take whatever contact info offered and follow through with contacting the individual you are told to contact. When you do…let that individual know exactly who told you to call them.
5. This is the important part…repeat call 2 to 3 times a week. Do exactly the same thing with your communication. Make it known through this process we are not going away until they abide by the laws which are already in place, and being violated.
This is a battle we can win. The law is very clear regarding this issue…and it’s on our side.
STAND UP, SPEAK OUT OR ACCEPT WHAT COMES!!!
Safe Trails and God Bless,
I want to thank Silver (Fred) Surfer for coming up with all this…All the hard work is just begun, but with people like Silver (Fred) Surfer on our side, it just got a little easier. With the help of some people making a few phone calls a week, WE WILL BE HEARD!
© 2009, Truck Drivers News Blog. All rights reserved.